The high-level United Nations Conference to Support the Implementation of Sustainable Development Goal 14: “Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development” will be convened at United Nations Headquarters in New York from 5 to 9 June 2017, coinciding with World Oceans Day, to support the implementation of United Nations Sustainable Development Goal 14.
The Conference shall:
- Identify ways and means to support the implementation of Sustainable Development Goal 14;
- Build on existing successful partnerships and stimulate innovative and concrete new partnerships to advance the implementation of Goal 14;
- Involve all relevant stakeholders, bringing together Governments, the United Nations system, other intergovernmental organizations, international financial institutions, non-governmental organizations, civil society organizations, academic institutions the scientific community, the private sector, philanthropic organizations and other actors to assess challenges and opportunities relating to, as well as actions taken towards, the implementation of Goal 14;
- Share the experiences gained at the national, regional and international levels in the implementation of Goal 14;
- Contribute to the follow-up and review process of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development by providing an input to the high-level political forum on sustainable development, in accordance with resolutions 67/290 of 9 July 2013, 70/1 of 25 September 2015 and 70/299 of 29 July 2016, on the implementation of Goal 14, including on opportunities to strengthen progress in the future.
The MARINA project will be represented at the conference by the partners XPRO Consulting Limited, Nausicaa and World Ocean Organisation. Their goal is dual: to create awareness about the need of adopting the Responsible Research and Innovation practices in the conservation and use of oceans and marine resources and bring back world-wide marine-related initiatives for embedding them in the MARINA aims.
MARINA will submit a voluntary commitment about the need of Responsible Research and Innovation in marine-related initiatives.
Find here the Ocean Conference detailed Program.